CVS trevistaCAM – a unique smart camera for surface imaging
The new CVS trevistaCAM is the latest addition to the CVS trevista range of advanced industrial surface inspection systems that use the patented 2.5D ‘shape from shading’ process. The low cost CVS trevistaCAM is a ready to use, completely self-contained 4 Mpixel smart camera system which has applications in automotive, print & packaging, test and measurement and the pharmaceutical industry.
Shape from shading is a unique approach that uses surface shading of an object to collect information on its 3 dimensional properties. Applications range from reading embossed codes on difficult and/or shiny and diffusely-scattering surfaces to testing for micron-level defects on demanding functional components.
CVS trevistaCAM is an ‘out of the box’ solution which can be integrated into a manufacturing process with minimum engineering. It features an ADLINK NEON 4 Mpixel smart camera and lens, preconfigured with either iNspect Express or Sherlock measurement software from Teledyne DALSA and is integrated into a domed trevista illumination system.
Suitable for the surface inspection of curved surfaces, functional surfaces and visible parts, applications include:
• OCR and ID reading of embossed characters
• Detection of defects such as scratches, burrs, dents, discolouration or grinding marks
• Presence & documentation Standard interfaces are provided for communication with a higher level control system.
CVS trevista structured lighting
The CVS trevista structured lighting unit is designed for imaging surface details and textures on difficult surfaces. A dome-shaped structure provides even diffuse illumination from four different directions and suppresses interference from ambient light. Using combinations of these individual sources, 4 images are produced for each inspection. These provide both topographic and textural information for the shape from shading process.
Two CVS trevistaCAM models to choose from
The images for each inspection are acquired at high speed using the STEMMER IMAGING Common Vision Blox imaging toolkit. Shape from shading algorithms are used to extract topographic and textural information from the images to allow the measurements to be made, using the onboard software.
Two models offer users and integrators the flexibility for any application:
• CVS trevistaCAM-INSPECT EXPRESS allows the rapid realisation of inspection projects without great image processing experience. It features iNspect Express, a vision application software specifically designed to simplify the design and deployment of automated inspection on the factory floor. iNspect offers new and experienced users alike a practical tool delivering uncompromised functionality that can be readily applied to a wide range of manufacturing tasks.
• CVS trevistaCAM-SHERLOCK utilizes Sherlock, an advanced machine vision software interface that can be applied to a wide variety of automated inspection applications. It offers maximum design flexibility and provides a rich suite of proven tools and capabilities.
CVS trevistaCAM provides a very effective 100% surface inspection solution which allows fast, accurate and reliable measurements while minimising the chances of false rejects.
The CVS trevista family
In addition to the CVS trevistaCAM smart camera systems, STEMMER IMAGING can offer a range of CVS trevista illumination systems equipped with a choice of camera, matching lens, a PC and software, fully integrated into a complete system. CVS trevista Surface and CVS trevista Cylinder can be used for the inspection of flat, stationary component surfaces or cylindrical shell surfaces respectively. CVS trevista Multiline is used for the examination of components in rotational or translational motion.
Source: Control Engineering Europe - All Articles