Indian restaurant owner Mohammed Zaman was jailed for six years after he was found guilty of manslaughter following the death of bar manager Paul Wilson who had a peanut allergy.
Wilson had informed the restaurant of his allergy, and the request was clearly marked on the lid of his meal but the chicken tikka masala had been prepared with peanuts instead of almonds.
Wilson, 38, had a fatal anaphylactic shock at his home in Helperby, North Yorkshire, in January 2014.
Martin Kersh, executive director, Foodservice Packaging Association, said: “The majority of restaurants and caterers have no doubt embraced the EU Food Information to Consumers Regulation ensuring staff are able to provide information upon request to their customers.
“This tragic death and the resulting court action highlights that there are still too many facilities providing food that are not following the correct procedures. A number of labelling options are available back of house to ensure ingredients containing the regulation’s named allergens are clearly marked throughout the preparation process.
“This means as ingredients are added the inclusion of allergens is noted on labels applied to the pans and dishes used in the preparation process. The foodservice industry has worked very hard to ensure there is no excuse for staff not to be able to advise customers of allergens and labelling has played a critical part in achieving this.”
The case is considered to be a legal first, setting a precedent for food suppliers.
Source: Packaging News | Jobs | Production | Design | Innovation » News